My favorite characters are witches...

This short scene was done for a writing conference.  We were asked to basically do a character sketch that we thought of, spur-of-the-moment.  This is what I wrote:

Carli stopped for a moment to breathe deep and clear her mind. Her spell was NOT going to go awry this time. Gods, please? She entreated silently. The night was balmy and still, a perfect night to try a gentle stirring of the air. Feeling centered, she opened her eyes and stepped forward. Taking up her athame and sea salt, she cast the circle just as she'd read. She began to chant, 

"Gently now, I wish to stir the air
Isis, create a gentle breeze, quiet and fair
I entreat your help to train my power
Now in this magickal hour
By the power of three times three
Let the air stir and not harm me or thee"

A smile appeared on her face as she felt the air begin to stir, leaves gently rustling in the trees. Her excitement was short-lived, though, as the trees began to sway harder, and her long black hair lashed her face. The wind continued to build as she searched for the words to end it.

"Isis please, I entreat thee
Quiet the air that I have stirred
ummmm... Let it be gone, and the world be undisturbed
Put back to rights that which I have changed
And bring no harm upon anyone by my name.
Ummm... By the power of three times three, as I will, so mote it be"

The air slowly stilled as she was continued to try to write new words in her head. Her head bowed, tears dripping to the earth, she steeled herself with another deep breath, then slowly raised her eyes to survey the damage. One large limb was broken, her salt scattered to the winds, and her clothing and hair in disarray. She continued to weep quietly as she took a coin and buried it shallowly at the base of the tree, as an offering and an apology for her meddling.

"Why can't I work spells?" she asked aloud in frustration, staring into the now calm and star bright skies.

She jumped as a baritone voice came from the shadows. "I don't know, but I sure wouldn't recommend you try it again until you figure it out."


So, what do you think?  Would you like to learn more about Carli?  :)  I think I might... please, tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment